Rafael Nadal’s The bid for a 15th French Open title announced on Tuesday his withdrawal from the upcoming Monte Carlo Masters.
“Hello everyone, I’m not ready to compete at the highest level,” said the 36-year-old Spaniard.
“I will not be able to play in one of the most important tournaments of my career, Monte Carlo.”
The Monte Carlo tournament, which Nadal has won 11 times, starts on Saturday, while the French Open starts on May 28.
Nadal said he hopes to return quickly from the hip injury he suffered at the Australian Open in January, and suffered in the second round against Mackenzie McDonald.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion withdrew from tough tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami, with his sights set on an early clay court season return.
Record Monte Carlo Masters champion Nadal won the tournament eight consecutive times between 2005 and 2012.
After the tournament director said that Nadal had registered for this year’s edition, the Spaniard last week denied that he was ready to participate.
“I don’t know who will receive this information, but it is clear that if it is true, I will confirm it, but, unfortunately, I cannot confirm it,” said Nadal in something happened.
“Things are moving from day to day, and I will not speak of things that I cannot accomplish.”